Monday, March 31, 2008

thin, thick, or chewy???

There is a show on the Food Network called "Good Eats with Alton Brown." Each episode explores one type of food in depth and really breaks it down so it's easy to make. I just got into it and I love it.

This one episode I caught this week was on Choc. Chip Cookies. My favorite. My favorite thing to bake. America's favorite! The show really explained a lot for me.

Anyway, I learned about how to adjust the basic Tollhouse/Nestle recipe to make a cookie either- thin and crispy, thick or chewy.

THIN- When making thin and crispy cookies, you have to use LESS brown sugar (the darker the sugar the more chewy and therefore LESS crispy.) Also, you should use ONLY one egg and add some milk. Makes it thin. It totally works. RECIPE HERE.

THICK- For THICK and fluffy cookies, use more brown sugar and more baking soda. Baking soda helps it rise. He also suggested using shortening. RECIPE HERE.

CHEWY- Two things here. MELT all the butter in a saucepan and then pour into mixer. The melted butter makes it more chewy. Also he suggests using BREAD FLOUR instead of CAKE or ALL PURPOSE FLOWER. Lastly, using a lot more BROWN SUGAR than WHITE SUGAR. RECIPE HERE.

No comments: