Wednesday, February 6, 2008

fat fat fat

I need to lower my cholesterol. It has always been below 200, but it's starting to creep up and I am freakin' out!

Did a lot of research. Here's some info:

"Meat, fish, poultry, dairy products, and eggs all contain cholesterol, while plant products do not. Choosing lean cuts of meat is not enough; the cholesterol is mainly in the lean portion. Many people are surprised to learn that chicken contains as much cholesterol as beef. Every four-ounce serving of beef or chicken contains 100 milligrams of cholesterol. Most shellfish are very high in cholesterol. Cholesterol in foods raises the cholesterol level in one's blood. The best thing to do is to keep one's fat intake very low and to avoid all animal products."

Also they say to avoid a lot of dairy products and sweets (anything with fat)....basically, everything I like. I am a cheese person. What am I to do?

So, am I supposed to become a vegan and eat no meat and no dairy. That's just not possible. So tonight, I had the healthiest dinner I have ever had. A bowl of steamed peas, a mesclun salad with balsalmic vinegarette, tomatoes and croutons and an apple for dessert. HOW BORING. I feel satisfied right now, but I could not do that ever night. I need meat. We all need meat. I need cheese. I need cream in my coffee. And we all need a little fat too.

2 comments:

Eli said...

It's all about moderation. There are millions of people who are healthy and have normal cholesterol who EAT MEAT. It's just about eating healthy, eating your veggies, and exercising to stay healthy. You know I've had trouble with my cholesterol since NCSU and it's still high. It'll probably be a long time before I can get it back to normal, but I'm working on it! Love ya! :)

Anonymous said...

If it is high at your next physical, you should ask the doctor about taking Zocor or another cholesterol lowering pill. I take 40 mg a day and Dad takes only 10 mg a day. It has helped me keep mine down. High cholesterol is heredity and my mother and probably father had it. Weight loss is a great way to lower it. I'm sure I could take less mg. now that my weight is lower. Love ya. Mom